Francine Marzanek

Fran's home on the web

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Y&R addict

Yes, I have an addiction. Sure many people know that I have a problem with Diet Coke (could be worse I tell myself while sipping DC with lots of ice!), but I like to watch the Young and the Restless. Also, known while I was at Waterloo (University that is, ranked much higher than Carleton University academically) as the Young and the Breastless. My addiction started when I was in second year - first year I would scoff at all of my residence roommates huddled in the very cramped lounge watching Y&R at 4:30. But somewhere during second year it happened - and I was hooked. Now you have to understand that I am not hooked on the drama, the story lines ( not a lot of reality in many of them) or even any one particular member of the cast - I am addicted to the Y&R lifestyle. It looks so relaxing - great clothes, hair, make up, lots of fun parties, etc, and always stopping in and out of the coffeeshop and seeing someone that is an acquaitance. Hmm.. now I understand my husband's addiction to the Royal Oak in Ottawa during university. Yes, I know is was whatever name it was before it. Now that I am officially a stay at home mother (oh my god!! when did that happen and how!!!), I find that I try and seek out adult conversations, friends, acquatainces. When I was on maternity leave, it was going to the mall, visiting family, dropping into the office. But now, I have overextended myself with family - I see the shutters close when I drive up, there is no office and I am not working so going to the mall everyday is not financially feasible. So, under the guise of socializing my 18 month old son, I have signed him up for story time and swimming lessons. I was thinking maybe there would be other adults there. Only I hope they don't see the desperation for adult conversation in my eyes. Oh well! There is always the Y&R.

6 Comments:

At 3:25 PM, Blogger Pete Mitchell said...

Aw Fran, you tugged at my heart there. You truly are a fantastic mother. I hope both Mark and Alexander appreciate that. There aren't very many who would make the sacrifices you have made.

And I found out you don't have to spend money to go to the mall. What you do is tell people you're just there getting exercise and walk up and down two or three times. You'd be surprised how many "mall walkers" you come across. Lime Ridge might be best. Hope that helps.

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Franny said...

Love your blog! Regarding the TV habit, I was more of a Star Trek TNG reruns kinda woman than soaps. But I can change!

I stayed at home with Joey for 3 years and the first 20 mos with the twins (they're almost 2 now). It was great, but yes, it can be *a little* lonely.

Anytime you want to get Alexander together with the twins for a playdate/mommy bitch-session, let me know.

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Franny said...

Ooh, I just noticed you're a Blue Rodeo fan!
Jim Cuddy kissed me once!

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Pete Mitchell said...

I didn't know you liked Blue Rodeo. I like Blue Rodeo. I wouldn't kiss Jim Cuddy though.

Ok.. maybe if you gave me a dollar I might.

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Mark Leslie said...

I'd kiss Jim Cuddy if he agreed to perform our special song "Five Days in May" for Francine.

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger Pete Mitchell said...

Good grief Francesca; you've uncovered a strange little "I'd kiss Jim Cuddy" cult right here in Hamilton.

Weird!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home